Thursday, March 4, 2010

MY DAUGHTERS PROTESTING!!!!!


I'm not quite sure why I'm happy about this but at this very moment my daughter is at the Civic Center in San Francisco with thousands of people Protesting cuts in education. I'm watching CNN and they are amazed at the amounts of college students protesting. So am I. I'm proud they are. An education is expensive. Many students have saved and work their way through college and these sharp increases are more than they can afford. I don't think the politicians or even the general public believe our youth give a damn. Its good that they are doing this .It proves they care . They are fighting for self improvement. Cant get much better than that.
Whats more is I'm proud that my daughter cares. She doesn't have to. Her college , or most of it is taken care of. So I'm proud. I'm proud she isn't one of those college kids on facebook talking about stupid shit and worrying about how f'd their life is because their boyfriend broke up with them . Shes out there trying to institute change. Peacefully, hopefully. I'm glad she stepped out of Riverside. Stepped out of her safe spot. She is truly living life. I'm not so sure alot of us do.

I feel guilty I'm not attending some kind of rally. Being involved in Erin's schooling for all these years and also being a substitute teacher, I understand the enormity of the situation. I wont go into any details but I have personally seen and experienced the difference in having 20 kids over 30 kids in a classroom. I don't like the college tuition increase but I find the k-3 classroom numbers increase to be the worse cut of all. If these kids fall behind by the 3rd grade they are truly doomed. They fall through the cracks and the climb back is enormous. Trust me the kids who really need the help are not the ones with parents at home who can help. Teach a kid to read by the 3rd grade and you have saved their life. Reading is truly the key to success in life.

So here I sit. Watching kids get arrested on the freeway and rioting in Berkley California not far from where my daughter is. Yes I do fear for her safety but I fear her falling into complacency more. I'm proud and like I told her dodge the rubber bullets and protect the camera with your life!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY LISA. WE ALL NEED TO BE ON THE PICKET LINES WHEN IT COMES TO EDUCATION CUTS. THEY ARE SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING CLOSING ABOUT HALF OF THE SCHOOLS IN KANSAS CITY MISSOURI. NOW THAT IS A SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS IN MY BOOK. I WOULD BE DOWN THERE PUTTING MY TWO CENTS IN BUT I DON'T LIVE IN THE AREA, SO CAN'T. THE BALDWIN SCHOOL DISTRICT HAS HAD TO MAKE A LOT OF CUTS, AND THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE MORE. OH MY. WELL I GUESS I NEED TO CLOSE FOR NOW. TELL YOUR DAUGHTER TO KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't be more proud of her. But you know she's having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you gonna dock her $7.50 for missing her blog today?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh she did Melissa. After talking to her last night I would say she had an "epic"(hehe) day. Cant wait for her blog!!! Love AUNT LISA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually I gave her a pass and she said she was drinking a red bull and finishing it. ...I guess she took the pass.

    ReplyDelete