Tuesday, January 19, 2010

JAN 19 THE TIARA DEDICATED TO GLORIA DEE



Well its been a busy couple of days. Saturday night was Redlands Auction night. Got some goodys and have been listing them into the Dageland Curios store. Meanwhile Erin and Erik have been toiling away at the record store giving me loads of records to pack. I have a love/ hate relationship with this auction house. They sell mostly top end antiques, something I love to look at but not really in my budget to buy or sell. My sister attended this auction with me once. Her only remark was "I cant afford to pee at this place". They do however supply me with most of my jewelry items. They sell very large lots of vintage costume jewelry. Overwhelming for the person buying for themselves but perfect for my Ebay store.

This is where I procured my Tiara. Or shall I say victoriously slayed the opposition for the Crown Jewels. Yes I won the Crown Jewels. Normally this is not the case. I am the person who picks up the tail end of large expensive collections. At this auction pretty much the bottom feeder. I am proud of this position. I serve a grand purpose and these auctioneers know this and appreciate me. I am the algae eating fish in the tank of piranhas.

At every auction there is an item that elicits a grand response. Sometimes it is a rare expensive piece but more often than not it is something that brings back childhood memories. Of the 100 or so people that attend auctions there are only a handful of people that buy the items. Many come just to view the wonderful items and soak in the memories of days gone past.

During the preview it was hard to pass the "Tiara" . It had a power just too strong. It sat there atop a large case of glittering baubles from days of past. The Queen of all costume paste jewelry. Sure the tiny plastic combs attached to the sides were long broken off and there were a few missing stones but it still had the power only a Tiara could hold.

I'm sure each and every woman has her own Tiara memories. I imagine this Tiara adorned an excited new bride. Taking that long journey down the aisle where a girl became a woman on the most glorious day of her life. The one day this woman would be Queen. My own Tiara memories stem from watching the Miss America pageant.

Back in the days before pageants were overblown commercial contests sexually objectifying women there was Miss America. The woman every little girl wanted to be. The smartest, most talented beautiful girl in the world. The tiara was her claim to fame. Like the Oscar awarded to the years best actress or the Olympic gold medal reserved for the best gymnast the Tiara was her crowning glory. Ill admit it. Although I am a pragmatist I daydream constantly. Still to this day when I watch award shows a smaller albeit same form of childhood daydream fantasy creeps in. And yes the crowning of Miss America is no exception.

As I sat waiting for the auction in my front row seat, yes I have a reserved front row seat not bad for a bottom feeder, I watch as my opposition examines "MY" Tiara. Each woman is transformed to a young hopeful girl as they pass by. Even the sternest of Antique dealers , and I tell you these ladies are scary, soften as they pick up the Crown Jewels. It becomes an object of conversation. Excited conversation. The things people come to an auction for. My stomach sinks .I never buy anything for my self but I want this Tiara. "My" Tiara. I resign myself to being just the daydreamer once again.

As the auction starts my interest wanes. Thousands of dollars are spent on beautiful precious items. Most people are excited by this .I use to be about 10 years ago. Now thousands of auctions later it lulls me to sleep. Ill never buy items like this .It does not interest me . My pragmatic side has long since taken over and expensive worldly possessions do not interest me. As the jewelry comes near the excitement starts. My part of the competition has begun.

I prepare for battle. Drawing in my offense I check the game plan. My amounts carefully written down to assure I do not overspend. I put on my steely armoured persona . I'm ready to conquer all. And yes I have already resigned to the loss of the Tiara. But there are large lots of glittery rhinestone baubles to make my own.

A bit of confusion ensues as the Tiara comes up. No it is not to be auctioned alone. The auctioneer decides to include it into a large lot of paste jewelry. Game plan has changed. The possibility of procuring the Tiara, MY Tiara, is within my reach. Much to the dismay of 2 of my front row seat competitors. Trust me this is a large lot of rhinestone goo. Something they not only don't want but do not need. My heart leaps. The Tiara shall be mine.

Victoriously I smote my opposition. Yes the Tiara had been put on the battlefield and I won. I was the queen warrior procuring the crown jewels. The scary German Antique dealer had been defeated.

Ive have been the proud owner of this Tiara for approximately a year now. I wear it sometimes while I list jewelry. I am the Queen of my realm. The Empress of the garage. The winner of the "Tiara".


1 comment:

  1. You look wonderful Dallling!!! The cat looks pretty good too. I took your Victoria's Secret article with me to the meeting I had Sat. Your prose was a hit. I laughed harder reading it to the gals than I did when I read it the first time and I almost wet myself the first time. Keep on Keeping on.

    ReplyDelete